How To get a working holiday Visa in Japan: A step-by-step guide

There’s really no country in the world quite like Japan. Centuries of ancient history is beautifully juxtaposed against the neon lights and futuristic technologies of modern-day life. In reality, you can visit Japan dozens of times and barely scratch the surface of what this diverse country has to offer.

That’s why obtaining a working holiday visa in Japan is an outstanding opportunity. With a Japanese working holiday visa, you’ll have the chance to explore every inch of the country — from the top of snow-capped mount Fuji to the coastlines of Okinawa and everything in between.

Not to mention, you’ll be able to delight in some of the tastiest dishes on this side of the Pacific Ocean. Fresh sushi, steaming bowls of ramen, and fried shrimp tempura all await you at your doorstep.

This guide will cover everything you need to know about the working holiday visa in Japan. If you’re ready to go on an epic journey through Japan, read on!

תוכן העניינים
What is a working holiday in Japan?
Who is Eligible For a working holiday Visa in Japan?
How To get a working holiday in Japan
How To start Your working Holiday
What type of work Can You Do on a working holiday in Japan?
Where to find working holiday Jobs
Disadvantages to the working holiday Program in Japan
What to expect From a working holiday in Japan
Final Thoughts
Like This Article? להצמיד אותו!

What is a working holiday in Japan?

To put it simply, a working holiday visa allows young travelers to explore a new country and culture while earning money to fund their travels.

Although it may have the word “working” in the title, the main purpose of a working holiday is to travel around Japan and explore its rich cultural heritage.

Remember, you’re mainly in Japan on a holiday! However, the visa allows you to work so that you can earn some extra cash for your trip.

With a working holiday visa in Japan, you can work and travel around for up to one year. Australian citizens can stay in the country a bit longer because they are lucky enough to be given a visa for 18 months.

Depending on your home country, there may be a limited number of working holiday visas for Japan available. For example, Japan only issues 6,500 visas for Canadian citizens and 1,000 visas for UK citizens. once this quota is filled, you will need to wait until the following year to apply again.

On the other hand, there is no limit to the number of visa holders for Australians or new Zealanders, for example.

Who is Eligible For a working holiday Visa in Japan?

If you’re interested in applying for a working holiday in Japan, you need to be a citizen of one of the 23 countries with a bilateral working holiday agreement. So if you’re from the UK, Australia, new Zealand, or Canada, you’re eligible to apply for a working holiday in Japan.

You also need to be between the ages of 18 – 30.

However, citizens from Australia, Canada, and the Republic of Korea have different age requirements and need to be under 25 in purchase to apply. and if you are from Iceland, you should be between the ages of 18 – 26.

If you are not from one of the participating countries, you cannot apply for a working holiday visa in Japan. However, you can enroll as a full-time student in a university or language classes in purchase to obtain a student visa. and with the student visa, you are allowed to work a maximum of 28 hours per week in Japan.

Besides age and nationality, you should also have sufficient funds to support yourself during your entire stay in Japan. This amount will depend on your nationality; for example, Australian citizens need $2,500AUD, while Canadian citizens need $2,500USD in their bank account.

You will also need to show a return ticket or sufficient funds for a return ticket when applying for your visa.

How To get a working holiday in Japan

To apply for a working holiday visa in Japan, you should visit the nearest Japanese embassy in your home country. It’s essential to note that there is no online application option. That implies you should apply for the visa in person directly with the Japanese embassy.

The application process can vary slightly depending on your nationality, but it’s typically pretty straightforward. I recommend going to the Ministry of foreign Affairs in Japan’s site to see the exact application details for your nationality. However, you will likely need to complete the following steps:

Fill out the Application

Your first step is to fill out a printed copy of the Visa Application form to enter Japan. This form includes your basic information, such as nationality, age, and passport details. There is also a short section with yes or no questions about your legal and criminal past.

Remember, you should have a clean criminal record to participate in the working holiday visa program.

You will also need to attach a 45mm ×45mm or 2in×2in passport-style photograph (that was taken in the last six months) to the application. Finally, finish the form by signing and dating the bottom.

Best of all, applying for the working holiday program is entirely free! If you meet the above criteria, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t apply.

Write your proposed Itinerary

Unlike other working holiday applications, you are required to submit a proposed schedule for your first six months in Japan. but depending on your nationality, you might be required to write an schedule for the entire duration of your visit. This includes your flight details, accommodation addresses, and employment opportunities.

Don’t worry if your plans are not 100% set in stone. You can simply list the sites you’ll use to find potential places to stay. and if you don’t have a pre-arranged employment contract, you can state that on the form as well.

However, the goal of this schedule is to show that you’ve put thought and effort into your plans while on a working holiday.

Gather any extra Documents

Besides the application form, you will also need to submit the following files when applying at the Japanese embassy. These files include:

Your current passport (valid for the entire duration of your stay in Japan)

A copy of your CV detailing your personal, educational and employment history

A short letter discussing why you want to live and work in Japan. This needs to be typed on A4 paper, signed, and dated.

Proof of funds to support yourself (a printed bank statement will work; however, some countries might require an official stamped statement from the bank)

Submit your Application to the Japanese embassy or Consulate

As I said, applications for a working holiday visa should be submitted in person to the nearest Japanese embassy or Consulate. You cannot submit the forms online; send them by mail, or ask somebody to visit the embassy on your behalf.

Depending on your home country, you may or may not need an appointment with the embassy. In many cases, you can just go during opening hours and the embassy will point you in the best direction. In a similar fashion, you may be required to complete an interview at the embassy as part of the application process.

Receive your working holiday Visa

If your application was accepted, then congratulations! You’ll receive your passport with the visa printed inside. The processing times vary between embassies, but range from 1 – 3 weeks. You will then need to return to the embassy in purchase to collect your passport and visa.

How To start Your working Holiday

Now that the challenging application part is over, it’s time to start planning your holiday abroad in Japan! When you arrive in Japan, there are a few extra steps you need to take to begin your journey in your new home.

Get your residence Card

Once you land in Japan for the first time, you will need to fill out an arrivals card, just like everyone else on your flight. For the “purpose of visit” section, you can write that you are on a “working holiday.”

When you go through customs, the immigration official will give you a residence permit card, or 在留カード. keep this card safe whatsoever times, as it’s your form of identification when living and traveling through Japan!

Apply for Residency

Now that you’re officially living in Japan, you will need to register with the local municipal office or 役所. This needs to be done within your first two weeks of arriving in Japan.

All you have to do is fill out the form (which is in English) and register with your new Japanese address. If you don’t have your own house yet, you can register using a friend’s place or hotel.

Get your My Number Card

After you register with the local municipal office, you’ll receive a My Number card in the mail to the address you registered. This card includes a 12 digit number that is used for social safety and security or taxation. Make sure to keep this card in a safe place!

לפתוח חשבון בנק

If you plan to work in Japan, you will need a bank account where your future employer will transfer your earnings. Unfortunately, many large Japanese banks require that you live in Japan for at least six months before opening an account.

However, there are some banks like Japan post bank or Shinsei bank that allow foreigners to open bank accounts once theyלְהַגִיעַ.

To open an account, you’ll need your passport, residence card, and a Japanese phone number. If you want to guarantee that you get paid for your hard work, don’t forget this task.

What type of work Can You Do on a working holiday in Japan?

With a working holiday visa, you are not limited to short-term or part-time work. You can work in any industry, as long as it’s considered morally acceptable by the government. This implies you can’t work in massage parlors, pachinko game halls, or cabaret theatres.

Despite what you may think, finding a job in Japan is relatively easy, even for non-Japanese speakers. but on the other hand, companies are much more inclined to hire you if you have a working proficiency or even an elementary level of Japanese.

If you don’t speak Japanese, don’t worry! There are still plenty of job opportunities for those who can’t speak, read, or write Japanese.

ללמד אנגלית

If you’re a fluent or native English speaker, you ought to have a relatively easy time finding an English teaching job in Japan. Although it’s not required that you have a teaching degree or TEFL (Teaching English as a foreign Language) certification, you might find that some schools favor applicants with this training.

Best of all, English teaching roles can actually make much more money than non-teaching positions. On average, you can make around 2,000 yen per hour as an English teacher, which is 30%-50% much more compared to other hourly positions in Japan.

Outdoor and resort Jobs

For adventure seekers, working in one of Japan’s resort towns is an outstanding option on your working holiday. spend a few months teaching ski lessons or working the ski lift on the snowy mountains of Hokkaido. Or spend the summer as a pool or beach attendant in sunny Okinawa.

One of the best benefits to resort jobs is that your room and board is typically included — or deducted from your paycheck. And, you’ll have the opportunity to meet other travelers and working holiday visa holders from around the world!

תעשיית השירות

Unlike other working holiday countries, very few foreigners take on service industry jobs in Japan due to the language barrier. If you would like to work in a restaurant, bar, or cafe, you will probably be required to have high-level Japanese language proficiency.

On the other hand, a service industry job is a ideal way to brush up on your speaking skills. If you have a basic foundation of the Japanese language, you may find an employer who is prepared to hire you.

Office Jobs

Due to the industries’ flourishing international growth, hundreds of tech, finance, and industrial companies have set up satellite offices in Japan. If you have the best skills and experience, you may be able to land an office job. and because many of these countries are headquartered outside Japan, speaking Japanese is typically not required.

However, you’ll need to keep in mind that you cannot accept a permanent position. While you are able to work full time, you cannot continue working for the company once your work permit and visa expire.

Where to find working holiday Jobs

Finding a job will depend on where you plan on residing during your stay in Japan. However, there are a few different ways that make finding a job in Japan a little easier.

Online job Sites

There are several online job sites in English where you can find your next potential employment opportunity. some of the most extensive sites for foreigners are jobs In Japan, GaijinPot, and DaiJob. With these sites, you can submit and submit your CV and application to the employer immediately.

חברות השמה

If you would rather work with an employment agency, there are several comp

Share this post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *