Posted: 10/21/2019 | October 21st, 2019
Azerbaijan is one of those emerging destinations that tourists are lastly starting to discover.
Until 1991, it was part of the Soviet Union, as well as ever since it ended up being independent, travelers have progressively started to go to this lesser-known country. The number of foreign visitors has almost tripled in the last decade, to almost three million in 2018.
While the sightseeing hot areas may not be well known, there are lots of things to see as well as perform in Azerbaijan. The capital, Baku, has unique architecture, including great deals of Parisian-style buildings from the 19th century. It is likewise house to some extremely futuristic constructions funded by the country’s oil wealth, such as the three flame Towers, which are covered in LED screens that screen dancing flames.
Outside of Baku, you can see mud volcanoes, go to 40,000-year-old rock paintings at Gobustan, or head to the hills to hike in the Caucasus Mountains.
But is Azerbaijan safe?
On the whole, Azerbaijan is extremely safe. since the country is ruled by a strongman who wants extremely much to boost tourism to the country, crimes against visitors are virtually unheard of.
Because, if somebody is caught committing a criminal offense against a tourist, the punishments will be rather severe. most crimes are usually little as well as include taking advantage of people in congested places, where perpetrators are less likely to get caught.
With that said, there are a few things to keep in mind as well as a couple of places to avoid. The tips below will assist make your experience in Azerbaijan risk-free as well as enjoyable.
8 security tips for Azerbaijan
1. stay conscious of your possessions – Petty theft as well as pickpocketing are unusual right here as the government (which is a dictatorship) punishes thieves rather harshly. Nevertheless, petty theft does occur from time to time in hectic outside markets in Azerbaijan, in addition to on the Baku metro as well as other public transport. Be more conscious of your possessions when you’re in congested locations as well as don’t flaunt anything expensive.
2. look out for drink-related scams – There have been some reports of travelers being robbed after having their drinks spiked, especially in Western-style nightclubs as well as bars in Baku. Don’t take food or drink from strangers or people you’ve just met, as well as always keep an eye on drinks you’ve ordered.
There are likewise reports of scams targeting guy at bars when women ask a foreign guy to buy her drinks. She ends up leaving him with a extremely high bar tab, as well as if he’s not able to pay, a group of guy may utilize physical force to insist.
3. Don’t insult the ruling Aliyev household – The president of Azerbaijan, Ilham Aliyev, who took over from his father Heydar in 2003, as well as his family, are not to be mocked or spoken about badly.
He has won five elections with around 80% of the vote, however there’s lots of evidence that he as well as his new Azerbaijan celebration are accountable for extensive corruption as well as a lack of democratic process, together with jailing people who have criticized the household or the government. Play it risk-free as well as prevent speaking politics while you’re here.
4. Don’t go near or talk about Armenia – prevent the border of Armenia as well as Azerbaijan, where sporadic armed clashes still take place. In particular, don’t go near the Nagorno-Karabakh region, which is a disputed area where armed dispute is common. There are land mines in these regions as well, one more great reason to steer clear.
The safest thing is just not to mention Armenia at all. There’s an ongoing, bitter dispute between the two nations, as well as Azerbaijanis can get upset if you try to talk about Armenia.
If you’re of Armenian descent — for example, if you have an Armenian surname — this may cause issues for you in Azerbaijan so be prepared.
5. Be cautious on the roads – many of the roads in Azerbaijan are in bad condition, as well as drivers frequently speed. You likewise requirement to watch out for people on foot as well as livestock in rural Azerbaijan.
If you can prevent it, don’t drive at night — there is usually bit or no illumination on the roads as well as there are a great deal of potholes as well as bumps that can cause a poor mishap if you can’t see them מגיע.
On the plus side, the blood alcohol limit right here is zero so there is no tolerance for drinking as well as driving (which means you’re less likely to encounter drunk drivers here). If driving, make sure you comply with this legislation to the letter.
Road security is likely going to be your biggest concern here, so always be additional cautious when driving or near hectic roads.
6. decline to pay bribes – There’s rather a culture of bribery as well as corruption in Azerbaijan, so you may discover yourself in a circumstance where you’re asked to pay a bribe. Although it can feel difficult, it’s okay to decline to pay, as well as usually, that will be the end of it.
Many Azerbaijanis are embarrassed by the degree of corruption as well as bribery as well as will do their finest to hide it from foreign tourists. Unfortunately, there is a minority who will still demand bribes — sometimes even officials.
7. look out for fake authorities – It’s rather a typical scam to find across criminals dressed as authorities officers. In their disguise, they will target foreigners as well as try to problem you a fake web traffic infringement or demand you pay a fine for photographing in the street.
If in doubt, ask them to take you to a authorities station. Hopefully, they will then agree to leave you alone.
8. buy travel insurance coverage – every time you travel, you should make sure you have an appropriate level of travel insurance. You never understand what may go wrong! Hopefully, nothing will occur to you while you’re checking out Azerbaijan, however you’ll be truly grateful you have travel insurance coverage if you are included in a vehicle accident, ended up being the sufferer of theft, or get ill as well as discover yourself in an emergency situation.
We suggest world Nomads for travelers under 70, while Insure My trip is the very best option for travelers over 70.
For more info on tarvel insurance, inspect out these posts:
What Does travel insurance coverage really Cover?
The 7 finest travel business in 2019
How to buy the very best travel Insurance
FAQ on Azerbaijan security
To assist you plan your trip, right here are solution to the most often asked concerns we get about security in Azerbaijan:
How risk-free is Baku for tourists?
Thanks to earnings from oil as well as gas, Baku is a contemporary funding city with decent public transfer as well as is generally safe. There are some dangers of petty theft in crowds or bars, as well as tourists can be a target of drink spiking as well as other scams (see above) in Western-style bars as well as nightclubs. Be additional vigilant on a night out.
Maybe the most dangerous part of being in Baku is the traffic. many Azerbaijanis drive extremely quick as well as without much regard for the rules of the road. If you’re a pedestrian, be wary of vehicles when you’re near a road as well as particularly when you’re crossing. When in doubt, comply with the lead of the locals.
Is it risk-free to drive in Azerbaijan?
Driving in Baku can be challenging: rather a great deal of traffic, quick drivers, as well as pedestrians who don’t pay much attention.
However, it’s most likely more dangerous to drive in rural areas, both since of the bad driving requirements as well as the low high quality of the highways. The road conditions are especially poor outside the cities, as well as driving at night is particularly dangerous, as the roads are poorly lit, or not lit at all.
Is Azerbaijan risk-free for women traveling alone?
In general, Azerbaijan is risk-free for all people traveling solo, however some women have reported incidents of unwanted male interest while walking alone as well as taking taxis. If going out at night, make sure you have somebody to go along with you just to be safe.
Here are a few useful posts on security written by our solo female travel experts:
How to stay risk-free as a Solo female Traveler
8 myths about Solo female travel Debunked
10 typical concerns about Solo female Travel
Women Shouldn’t Be afraid to travel Alone
Is the drinking water risk-free in Azerbaijan?
The tap water in Azerbaijan should be boiled before drinking to make sure that it is free of contaminants. Boil the water for at least 1 minute to make sure it’s clean.
While you can likewise buy bottled water here, I’d just bringing a recyclable water bottle as well as a Lifestraw or SteriPen. They can purify your water while likewise reducing your environmental impact.
From the contrasts of 19th-century design with the envelope-pushing contemporary buildings of Baku to the scenic vistas of the sparsely-populated towns as well as villages, you’ll discover lots of things to see as well as perform in Azerbaijan.
Just be sure to utilize typical sense by avoiding speaking about sensitive topics (such as the war with Armenia) when you are speaking to locals. Be conscious of the prospective for petty theft as well as scams; keep an eye out as well as your valuables out of sight. Do that, as well as you’ll be just fine.
On the whole, Azerbaijan is risk-free to go to as well as tourism numbers are growing for a great reason. spend a long time seeing Azerbaijan now, while it’s still not congested with tourists — you won’t regret it!
Book Your trip to Azerbaijan: Logistical tips as well as Tricks
הזמן את הטיסה שלך
השתמש ב- Skyscanner או ב- Momondo כדי לגלות טיסה לא יקרה. They are my two preferred browse engines since they browse websites as well as airlines around the globe so youתמיד להבין שום אבן לא נותרה ללא הפוכה. התחל עם SkyScanner ראשונה מאוד, למרות שיש להם את טווח ההגעה הגדול ביותר!
הזמן את הלינה שלך
אתה יכול להזמין את ההוסטל שלך עם OstelWorld מכיוון שיש להם את המניה הגדולה ביותר כמו גם עסקאות משובחות. אם אתה רוצה להישאר במקום אחר מלבד אכסניה, השתמש ב- Booking.com מכיוון שהם מחזירים בעקביות את המחירים הזולים ביותר לבתי הארחה כמו גם מלונות לא יקרים. המיקומים המועדפים עלי להישאר הם:
הוסטל סאהיל (באקו)
הוסטל ישן של גנג’ה (גנג’ה)
Lahij הארחה (Lahij)
אל תזכרו את ביטוח הנסיעות
כיסוי ביטוח נסיעות יגן עליך מפני מחלה, פציעה, גניבה, כמו גם ביטולים. זו ביטחון מקיף במצב כל דבר משתבש. אני אף פעם לא יוצא לטיול בלעדיו כיוון שהייתי צריך לנצל אותו פעמים רבות בעבר. העסק המועדף עלי שמציע את השירות הטוב ביותר כמו גם הערך הוא:
אגף בטיחות (לכולם מתחת 70)
להבטיח את הטיול שלי (לאלה מעל גיל 70)
Medjet (לכיסוי חוזר נוסף)
מחפש את העסק הטוב ביותר לחסוך איתו כסף?
עיין בדף המשאבים שלי לקבלת העסק הטוב ביותר לשימוש כשאתה נוסע. אני מפרט את כל אלה שאני משתמש בהם כדי לחסוך כסף כשאני בדרך. הם יחסוך לך כסף כשתטייל גם כן.
רוצה מידע נוסף על אזרבייג’ן?
הקפד ללכת למדריך היעד החזק שלנו באזרבייג’ן לקבלת טיפים לתכנון עוד יותר!